Leighton State Bank was founded in 1911 as a true “community bank” with 56 shareholders. Originally known as Farmers Savings Bank, a group of area residents met for the purpose of organizing a state-chartered bank in Leighton. Over one hundred years later, this structure remains in place with the majority of the bank owned by a group of local shareholders and investors.
Leighton Office, 1975
Farmers Savings Bank was one of only two Banks in the area to survive the Great Depression without either failing or being forced to reorganize under new ownership. A major reason for this success was because many local stockholders had a personal financial interest in the bank’s survival. Leighton State Bank has grown steadily since then, providing a place of investments for depositors and serving as a source of credit for borrowers.
The Leighton office, although expanded and remodeled on several occasions, has operated continuously from the same location since 1911. The board of directors made a strategic decision (in 1997) to open a primary bank office in the Pella community. This is when “Farmers Savings Bank” was renamed to “Leighton State Bank”. The acceptance in the Pella market was immediate and significant. Today, our main bank is conveniently located one block west of the downtown square in Pella.
August 21, 2011 marked a major milestone for Leighton State Bank, our Centennial Anniversary. We have proudly served customers for over 100 years and have remained under local ownership the entire time.
In 2013, Leighton State Bank partnered with the local and reputable office of VSR Financial Services. This addition allowed us to truly be a full service community bank by offering brokerage and financial planning services. The investment division became known as Leighton Investment Services in 2016.
An additional bank office was added in 2014 when the former Monroe State Bank joined Leighton State Bank. The acquisition and merger went smoothly. Together, our three bank offices serve customers in Pella, Leighton, Monroe and surrounding communities.
Throughout 2014 and 2015, the Pella office experienced a major remodel and expansion. A separate drive-up facility was constructed and opened across the street from the main bank. Furthermore, space was added to the main bank where our investment division and data processing center now occupy.
Leighton State Bank is proud to have a heritage of being locally owned and operated. As we have grown over the years, our shareholders and board members are still committee to the original purpose of the bank – to remain under local ownership, to be customer focused and community minded.
|Pella Main Office||Pella Drive-Up||Leighton Office||Monroe Office|
By clicking continue below, you will be leaving Leighton State Bank's website and directed to a third-party website. This link is provided for your convenience. This third-party site is not a direct representation of and is not controlled by LSB.