Leighton State Bank first began in 1911 as Farmers Savings Bank when a group of area residents met for the purpose of organizing a state-chartered Bank in Leighton. The Bank was founded as a true “community bank” with 56 shareholders. One hundred years later, this structure remains in place with the majority of the Bank owned by a group of local shareholders and investors.
Farmers Savings Bank was one of only two Banks in the area to survive the Great Depression without either failing or being forced to reorganize under new ownership. One reason for this success was because the Bank had many local stockholders with a personal financial interest in the Bank’s survival. Since then, Leighton State Bank has grown steadily, providing a place of investments for depositors and as a source of credit for borrowers.
The Leighton facility, although expanded and remodeled on several occasions, has operated continuously from the same location since 1911. In 1997 the board of directors made the strategic decision to relocate the primary office of the Bank to Pella. This is also when “Farmers Savings Bank” was renamed “Leighton State Bank”.
Leighton State Bank is now a full service community bank offering banking, investment and insurance services. Leighton Insurance Services joined the Bank in 1996, and investment services were added in 2013 when VSR Financial Services became part of the Bank. Both the insurance agency and investment office were well-established businesses prior to being acquired by the Bank.
August 21, 2011 marked the Centennial Anniversary for Leighton State Bank. We have been proudly serving customers for over 100 years from both our Pella and Leighton offices and have been under local ownership the entire time. Together these locations serve several communities throughout Marion, Mahaska and surrounding counties.